Bed Bugs Handbook
Free Advice, How To and Practical Tips
The Bed Bugs Handbook is committed to providing information on
recognize that you have a problem and how to remove these pests from
your home or apartment. We also provide advice for how to avoid
bringing them into
your home from other places, such as when you are on
traveling or bringing used or new items such as furniture or a mattress
into the home.
to a a 2010 study conducted by the National Pest Management Association
(NPMA) and the University of Kentucky, If you have bedbugs in your home
you are not alone. There has been an 81% increase in bedbug calls since
the year 2000. The study goes on to state that we are on the
threshold of a global bedbug pandemic. It also states that
bugs are harder to treat than cockroaches, ants and termites.
bugs have been found everywhere including hospitals, daycare centers,
college dorms, religious institutions, homes, apartments, libraries and
even theaters. No location is immune. It doesn't
rich or poor you are, if someone carries a bed bug into your home, they
will multiply quickly.
Bedbugs are small insects that are technically not wingless,
although they do not fly. They hide
in narrow crevices near the feeding area, such as a
mattress seam, bed frame, and other furniture, although they can be
found in any room or area of a home.
There area many different kinds of bedbugs. One type in
particular likes to
feed on the blood of people, but they will also feed on pets.
Having bugs in your home does not mean that your home is
unclean. The bugs can ride into your house on clothing or crawl out of
luggage carried from an infested hotel room. You may even bring them
into your house on used furniture. Be especially cautious of
used mattresses and bed frames. Finally, your house or apartment could
already be infested when you move in or if they moved from another
apartment into yours.
The length of time a bed bug can live is dependent on temperature and
how recently they fed. Cooler temperatures result in a longer
lifespan. It is possible at the right temperature and feeding
schedule, that a bed bug could live for 1 year without feeding again.
Many people do not realize they have an infestation. They may even have
bites from bedbugs, but not realize what is biting them.
Bed bug bites are an allergic reaction that can vary from
person. For most they take the form of raised red bumps. There are
usually multiple bites in the same area, but a single bite is possible.
Bumps are usually larger than
a mosquito bite. Larger reactions or hypersensitivity to the bite can
result in the formation of blisters.
Bites do not normally require any treatment and will go away on their
own in a few days. Bites can be itchy, with any over the counter
treatment for itch due to insect bites providing some relief.
Adult bugs are about a quarter of an inch long. Young bed
bugs are called nymphs, of which there are 5 stages in the bed bug
life cycle followed by a 6th adult stage. A nymph is approximately 1/32
of an inch or 1 mm long. A bedbug egg is approximately 1 mm
Getting rid of the bugs can be quite a chore. Removing an
involves washing all clothes and linens, treating mattresses and cracks
and vacuuming all areas of the room. See our guide for specific steps
on how to kill bedbugs.
There are a number of commercial products that work quite well. Look
for a pesticide that states it is safe for humans and pets, and follow
the directions carefully. Buying a kit can be the most cost effective
way to treat a room. After treatment mattresses and the box spring
should be sealed in a
zippered cover to trap any insects and the harder to find eggs that you
may have missed.
Bedbugs can be difficult to remove. It may require 2 to 3 treatments
before you are done. Do not hesitate to call in a professional service
since part of the problem with killing bedbugs is knowing where to
look and what products to use. Professionals have equipment not
available to homeowners such as high heat devices and dogs that can
detect the unique smell of the insects.
- Bed Bug Exterminator
- Bed bug exterminator selection tips. List of questions to ask before hiring a bedbug exterminator.
- Get Rid of Bed Bugs Step by Step Instructions
- Get rid of bed bugs by following these step by step instructions. Whether you are hiring a professional or doing it yourself, this site is filled with bed bugs getting rid of approaches.
- Information on BedBugs Identification, Prevention and
- Complete Information on bedbugs. Understand the history, mattress stains, appearance and treatment approaches used to kill bedbugs.
- Bed Bugs Bite Pictures Identification and Treatment
- Pictures and Treatment of any Bed bugs bite. See our guide to what bed bug bites look like and how to rid your home of the bed bug problem.
- Identify Bed Bugs Pictures Descriptions and Treatment
- These pictures can help you identify bed bugs. Other bed bug signs are include red or brown spots on linens and mattress, eggs, and skin. Use these pictures for bedbug identification now.
- Bed Bugs Getting Rid Of
- Bed bugs getting rid of them. Read our step by step guide for getting rid of bed bugs from your home, apartment or office. See our product recommendations that will help with the process and learn when to turn to a professional exterminator.
- BedBug Life Cycle Guide and Pictures
- Understand the Bedbug life cycle, from egg to adult. See a diagram and pictures of the bed bugs lifecycle, including a video that explains each stage.
- Bed Bug Prevention Resources by City
- Bed bug prevention city guide. See our list of local landlord tenant laws, bedbug news stores, city by city bed bug control resources and suggested bed bug exterminators and products now.
- Bed Bugs Pest Control Treatment Advice
- Guide to bed bugs pest control. Read about the products you can buy to exterminate bed bugs in your house or apartment. Pictures, instructions and tips.
- Bed Bug Pesticide Buying Guide
- Most popular bed bug pesticide options and recommendation. Choices include aerosols, dust, emulsifiable concentrates, ready to use, poweder and microencapsulation formulas. What to buy to get rid of bed bugs now.
- Bed Bugs Pictures
- Bed Bugs Pictures. See a photo bed bug at every stage of the bedbug lifecycle. Bugs look very different when they are just born than when they are adults. Also see pictures of bed bug eggs.
- Prevent Bed Bugs
- Prevent bed bugs. See our tips for preventing bed bugs from entering your home or apartment. Also see our guides to bed bug bite symptoms, treatment. Recommendations are made for safe home insecticides.
- Symptoms of Bed Bugs
- Symptoms of bed bugs can range from small puncture marks, to small red bumps to blisters. They usually appear on the arms and ankles followed by the legs. Symptoms usually worsen from repeated bite episodes.
- Bed Bug Travel Tips For Inspecting Hotel Rooms and Preventing
Future Bedbug Problems
- Prevent future problems with these bed bug travel tips. Learn how to inspect and avoid hotels, cruise ships and other places that may have a bed bug infestation.
- Bed Bugs Treatment Products Instructions Tips and Advice
- Step by Step insturctions for do it yourself or professional Bed bugs treatment. Successful bedbug treatment starts with hiring an experienced professional or with buying the products required to do the job right. Learn how to kill bed bugs in any home or apartment now.
- Bed Bug Traps
- Bed bug traps. Learn how to made two bed bug traps using products found at home.
- Bed Bug Information Resources, Articles and Links
- Bed bug information resources. See our guide to help links, articles, downloads and local resources for how to identify bed bugs, kill bedbugs and prevent bed bugs.
- Causes of Body Itch Pictures and Descriptions
- Pictures and descriptions of the many causes of body itch. This site describes what can cause itchy skin includig insects, allergy and the environment.
- Bed Bug Repellent for Skin and Funriture
- A bed bug repellent can be applied to luggage, mattresses and furniture. A new product on the market can be applied to the skin.
- Bed Bugs Pictures Biology Signs Treatment and Prevention
- Everything you need to know about Bed bugs at home or in an apartment. Learn how to identify and treat bedbugs, review pictures, what to do when you have a problem, including removal and protection now.
- Bed Bugs Blog
- The bed bugs blog is a complete guide to the prevention, identification, and treatment of bed bug problems.
- Bed Bug Lawsuit Types Examples and Results
- The number Bed Bug Lawsuit examples are growing as the epidemic grows. Review different types of lawsuits including those against hotel and motel chains, apartment buildings, employers and furniture stores among others.
- Bed Bugs Mental Illness Treatment
- The link between bed bugs mental illness is confimed by a NYU study and research into delusional parasitosis. The stress brought on by an actual or imaginary insect infestation can isolate, stigmitize and cause harm to the individual involved.